Latest Posts

Sigma Brushes Review & Thoughts

By 10:23 AM , , , , , ,

I finally received my much anticipated Sigma brushes the other day and made a haul post. The next day I couldn't wait to try them out, as any girl would once she receives "that" package. Of course, with my lovely luck, I got hit with a cold and have been in bed all day. What's better than spending spring break with aunt flow and a cold? I woke up feeling better today and went ahead and tried the brushes out!

In the haul post, I mentioned that the reason the Sigma brushes have caught my eye were because of YouTuber, Jaclyn Hill, who swears by the F80 Flat Top Kabuki brush for foundation. Since I could never find a brush that works for me and trusting Jaclyn's experience and knowledge, I had to try it out. It has been my holy grail ever since. I had to try out more of their brushes!

Here is a photo of all the brushes I purchased:



Read ahead for the review!


The first brush I'll start with the second one from the left. It's the F86 Tapered Kabuki brush. I initially purchased this upon Jaclyn Hill's recommendation for the under eye concealer and general highlight. I knew that even if it doesn't work for under eye concealer, it'll definitely be perfect for the highlight in places that wouldn't work with the F80 Flat Top Kabuki, like the bridge of the nose, between the eyebrows, and toward the forehead.

Bristles: I love the bristles of the F80 and F86. They are so dense, yet move around so nicely to create the perfect airbrushed look. 

Wash: I washed every brush the second I received them. Since it is so dense, it takes longer than other brushes to dry, but still not too long. Generally, it should dry within 24 hours, which I think is fine. It also shapes beautifully back into its original state.

Result: I was afraid to try this for the under eye concealer because I have dark circles and a small face. I normally use my fingers so I created problems in my head before I even tried it - it'll dry out my under eye, it won't blend nicely, or it'll fade the concealer altogether. Turns out, I was entirely wrong! It cut down my concealer and highlight application time by half. It blends beautifully and does not look chalky or choppy. It gets into all the little corners and hard to reach places with the dome shaped head. Love it!



The second brush is the F35 Tapered Highlighter brush. I wanted to purchase this for the purpose of setting and highlighting my under eye concealer and highlights in general with a powder. 

Bristles: The bristles are perfect for packing on powder under the eye and for a highlight. It doesn't apply too much and create a dry, cakey look.

Wash: The brush washed nicely. It dried fairly fast since it isn't so dense.

Result: This is a great brush for highlighting under the eye! I normally use an ELF Small Tapered brush, which truthfully works very similarly. The Sigma brush is just softer, and altogether a better quality, but the ELF can work as a dupe for those who aren't as big on under eye highlighting as I am. My dark under eye circles are my biggest problem, so I like to make my highlighting the best I can. In my specific case, I see a difference using the Sigma brush. I love it!



The next brush is the F05 Small Contour brush. I purchased this brush to use as a contour brush (durh). I've been using the ELF Small Tapered brush mentioned before for both setting my highlight and contouring (what?!). So wrong, I know. So, I needed a good contour brush, and wanted to try this one out.

Bristles: This brush has the same bristles as the F35 Tapered Highligher. It is the same feel, but a little more densely packed for a more precise application.

Wash: The washing time was the same as the F35. It took the same time to dry and shaped back nicely, as well!

Result: For some reason, I haven't seen much hype about this brush as the other Sigma brushes on YouTube. I was nervous to try this one out for that reason. But, I needed a contour brush desperately. I didn't expect to love it this much! It's so great for contouring the hollows of the cheeks and the forehead.



Now we have the eye brushes. Let's start with the E45 Small Tapered Blending brush. I purchased this one based on raves and reviews. I needed a blending brush more than this - but saved those for a next purchase. (Don't know why!)

Bristles: The bristles are of good quality. It blends shadows in the crease nicely. You can build it up to create as much of a definition as you'd like.

Wash: I'll just summarize all the eye makeup brushes wash experience here as they're all mostly the same. They all die very quickly since they are small. They also all shape very nicely back to the original state! That's a plus for me!

Result: I liked this brush for cut-crease eye looks, or any look where the definition and darker color is placed in the crease. I like that it both applies and blends. It's definitely a great brush for a makeup lover, since it both applies and blends the crease at once, rather than using two separate brushes for this purpose. Again, great quality, nonetheless!



Now, we have the E30 Pencil brush. I bought this one as another impulse buy (ha) from all the raves, reviews, and "must have" brushes on YouTube. I needed a brush to apply shadows under the eye, without anything smudging or any fall outs. 

Bristles: The bristles are so great on this one. This is another brush that both applies and blends. It doesn't pack on the color too intensely, giving you a chance to carefully build up your desired color. It simultaneously blends, which is so amazing! 

Result: I loved using this brush under the eye. It applied and blended beautifully as stated above. I also used it as a highlight for the inner corner of my eye. I feel like you can also use it for other purposes like a highlight for the cupid's bow and maybe even on the crease for a cut crease look! I love brushes that are multitaskers!



Last, but not least, we have the E05 Eye Liner brush. I received this one as the travel sized gift that comes with the order. I was so hoping for one of the eye blending brushes, since I wanted to order the regular sized one anyway, but definitely didn't complain! I actually needed a good liner brush for my gel liner since I use the same brush for my brows and liner!

Bristles: Most brushes aren't pointed enough, and sometimes when they are, they're too stiff. This brush was refreshingly pointed enough, yet moved and glided smoothly, which is great because you can create a wing and draw the rest of the liner all at once with the same brush. 

Result: I really liked this brush for my gel liner. It doesn't pick up too much of the product, which gives you time to build up and create the best line. The tip is also thin enough to create the wing which is nice. This made it a lot easier for me to create a thin line, since my eyes and lids are so small. I need the wing to be thick so my lid color isn't overshadowed by the liner, so I loved this brush for that purpose!



Overall: I love love love Sigma brushes. They're not that expensive for the quality. A lot of brushes (Ahem, Mac, ahem, Sephora) are pretty overpriced, although the quality is fantastic. So, I think Sigma is actually a pretty nice dupe to these brands. I love the brushes I purchased, and will definitely be purchasing some more soon! Do you own any Sigma brushes? How do you like them?

xo, Rotem

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I don't own any Sigma brushes, but this review definitely makes me want to!! They sound amazing :)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! You should do what I did and just try out the Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki for foundation first, you will not be disappointed! :) xo

      Delete

Leave me a comment, suggestion, request or question!